One potato, two potato...

I'm a french fry fanatic. To me, there is no greater side dish. In fact, I'd be perfectly happy to make french fries the main dish - and put the burger/sandwich/hot dog on the side. Especially since I discovered sweet potato fries. Not that there's anything wrong with the good old-fashioned russet potato, but the flavour and colour of the sweet potato just add that something extra - and make french fries a main dish in my world.

Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
3 large sweet potatoes
Olive oil
salt
pepper
cinnamon
cayenne pepper

Slice sweet potatoes into thin wedges and add to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil to coat. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and a generous amount of pepper (about 12-14 turns). Hit with a dash of cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne for some heat. Toss until potatoes are evenly coated with oil and spices.

Spread the potato wedges on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, turning fries once. After 30 minutes, turn the oven up to 450 degrees and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until wedges get slightly dark.

Remove from oven and serve piping hot with garlic & dill aioli

Garlic Dill Aioli
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 - 1/3 cup minced garlic
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/3 cup finely chopped dill

In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients and chill for up to 3 hours before serving.

to skin or not to skin?
this is totally a matter of personal preference. If you like baked potato skins, then leave them on...they add great flavour to the fries. If skins aren't your thing, peel 'em off. This recipe works well either way!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I love sweet potato fries, and garlic dill aioli sounds perfect with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet potatoes are basically my favorite food. Yum!

    Arika
    My Yummy Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore sweet potatoes, but my husband does not. I am thinking I might be able to change his mind with these. Love the addition of cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yumyum.. last night i made a little batch of sweet potato crisps... (paper thin slices.. dredged in a little evoo, then s/p, oreg, CINNI, and garlic....) drop it in a little oil&burre.. just a perfect crisp.. top with some mint feta and a little greek yogurt dipp... game time

    sorry for my bad spelling and have a wonderful night!!

    jonathan
    dailydesignspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sweet potato fries, and this dipping sauce sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet potato fries are so good and that sauce would be amazing with them!

    ReplyDelete